General type history
The Gö-4 was designed before the Second World War by Wolf Hirth and Wolfgang Hütter with the help of Ulrich Hütter and the prototype was first flown on 30 November 1937.
The Gö-4 is a two-seater side by side trainer with a glide ratio of 20:1.
Gö-4 II in pre-war German markings
After the war aircraft manufacturing was forbidden in Germany until 1951.
In Holland Fokker built 6 Gö-4 II's in 1948 and after 1951 Wolf Hirth again took up production of the Gö-4 (the Gö-4 III) and about 30 more were built.
His Royal Highness Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands (right) in Gö-4 PH-111
At this time there are less then 10 Gö-4 gliders still in airworthy condition worldwide, some others are under restoration or are just static exhibits.
A rare view: 5 Dutch Gö-4's in line (PH-206, 207, 209, 210 and 211)
History of PH-206
Gö-4 III PH-206 (c/n 416) was built in 1954 for the KNVvL (Royal Dutch Aeronautical Association) and registered as PH-206 on 24 July that year.
Just delivered at Terlet glider field together with Goevier II PH-179 (find the differences)
When she was only 4 weeks old she crashed during take off at the Terlet gliding center with heavy damage as result. Luckily the damage was repaired.
Extensive damage after a take off accident
In 1956 she was sold to the Eerste Limburgse Zweefvliegclub (First Limburg Gliding Club) where she flew until 13 December 1968.
In 1962 PH-206 was again heavily damaged after a groundloop during the take-off run.
Again heavy damage, this time after a groundloop
Damage was repaired again and in 1968 the Nijmeegse Aero Club (NijAC) bought PH-206.
This club used PH-206 until the 1980's when she was put in storage.
PH-206 in two different color schemes when in use with the Nijmeegse Aero Club
In 1985 a number of club members (Jan van Beugen, Pierre Gubbels, Loek Hafkamp, Paul Mengelberg, and Jan Roza) bought PH-206.
It was decided to give PH-206 a complete overhaul to get her in mint condition.
Removing all paint from the fuselage
Fuselage ready for next stage of restoration
Stripping the ailerons
A fully stripped wing showing its inner works
Re-covering the wing
Looks like a brand new wing again
Work proceeded slowly and at last in 1989 a new certificate of airworthiness was issued and the first post-restoration testflight was made from Hilversum airfield.
A little rest before the first test flight
Pilots holding a last briefing with the towplane pilot
Airborne again for the first time in five years
Also a closed trailer was built for transporting and storing the aircraft.
A specialist job done by Pierre Gubbels.
The basic framework of the trailer
Covering the trailer
Goevier PH-206 snugly in her new trailer
Unfortunately Jan van Beugen died not long after the test flights and the rest of the team decided to name PH-206 after Jan.
In an impressive ceremony Jan's widow Ann and daughter Camilla christened the Gö-4 at Asperden airfield (Germany).
Many friends and family attended the ceremony
Ann van Beugen unveiling the nose inscription
PH-206 proudly wears Jan's name
Since then PH-206 has visited many aviation events all over Europe.
Airshows, national historic glider rallies and international Vintage Glider Club rallies, Gö-4 III PH-206 is a regular guest.
PH-206 at the Vintage Glider Club rally over Dutch National Glider Center Terlet in 1992
PH-206 over the woods near Malden in 2010
PH-206 over Germany near Asperden in 2010
PH-206 In Zbraslavice (Czechia) during a Vintage Glider Club rally in 2001
Since 2005 Goevier PH-206 has two owners: Camilla van Beugen and Jan Roza who intend to keep this beautiful glider flying for as many years as possible.
Camilla and Jan in Gö-4 PH-206
Showing off the beautiful wings at Venlo 2018
Aerotow takeoff at Nistelrode 2018